Roy Hill Holdings has officially taken-over the mine, rail and port operations from Samsung, the EPC contractor on the Roy Hill Iron Ore Project in the Pilbara region of Western Australia.

Roy Hill has subsequently commenced the ramp-up of operations to the annual 55 million tonne nameplate capacity. It is currently focusing on building product stockpiles at the mine and port, and is preparing for the loading of its third shipment.

Roy Hill CEO Barry Fitzgerald said, “I would like to thank Samsung C&T, their subcontractors, the contractors engaged by Roy Hill involved in delivering the ECI infrastructure, such as the accommodation villages and mine services area, the staff at Roy Hill and each of the approximately 50,000 men and women who’ve been involved across the project over the years, for their efforts to date in progressing the project to this stage and for achieving this outcome.

“Roy Hill is a long-term operation, with a long-term outlook. We are a low-cost producer, with low phosphorous impurities, significant lump ratio, consistent quality and with approximately 90% of Roy Hill’s quality product already under long-term contracts. Roy Hill will deliver considerable benefits to the Western Australian and Australian economies for many years to come.”

Roy Hill is approximately 115km north of Newman. It is a world-class, low phosphorus, Marra Mamba iron ore deposit in one of the world’s premier iron ore provinces and is the only independent iron ore project with West Australian majority ownership.

Hancock Prospecting is the majority owner of Roy Hill Holdings with a 70% equity interest. The remaining 30% is held through a consortium comprising Marubeni Corporation, POSCO and China Steel Corporation. As part of the ownership agreement, the consortia partners have agreed to purchase their share of iron ore production from the Roy Hill Project, equating to 28.75 million tonnes at full production.

Resource Center Whitepapers, Videos, Case Studies